Guys, this lockdown has got all of us thinking about our finances, our future, and how to spend our free time. I have been loving spending a little extra time in the kitchen, and trying out recipes that I don’t usually – or trying out new recipes that can ensure our food stretches a little further and lasts us for a few meals.
This bean stew is one of husbands favourites, and I added some bacon bits this time (yum yum!), although the original recipe is from my vegan friend so this would be perfect for Meat Free Monday. You can also chuck in some Chick Peas to an alternate texture. It’s quick, easy, and super delicious.
2 tablespoons Oil (sunflower, canola or olive)
1 Onion (chopped)
2 Garlic Cloves (crushed)
2 chopped Chillies/Chilli Flakes (optional & according to taste)
2 heaped dessertspoons Tomato Puree or Paste
1 Stock Cube (veg or beef) dissolved in 250ml boiled water
2-3 tins of Beans (black or speckled) (drained)
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 teaspoons Sugar
1) Sauté onions in oil on medium heat, until softened.
2) Add garlic & chillies (if using) to onions & sauté for a few seconds.
3) Add tomato puree/paste to onions & garlic & allow to cook for +- a minute (remember to stir, to make sure the mix does not burn).
4) Pour in about a quarter of the stock & stir it in, to prevent the mixture from drying out.
5) After a minute, add the drained (but not rinsed) beans plus the rest of the stock & give it a stir.
6) Add the salt, pepper & sugar, then stir in.
7) Place the lid on the pot & allow to cook at a medium heat, until most of the liquid has reduced.
NB : Remember to keep an eye on the stew while it is cooking & stir frequently because beans will catch & burn very easily.
Serve with rice or mash & enjoy!! It should produce 4 to 6 decent servings.
This is a staple in our house, and we have really been enjoying it during lockdown – you can buy nearly all the ingredients in the house and have them ready in the pantry for the next meal.